Buzzify, a student’s intiative and also our campaign partner for outreach programs on North Campus, Delhi University came up with this quirky campaign for valentine’s day in 2015 to create awareness and curiosity among students about Safecity.
The campaign was designed to reach out to students who will be visiting the Virgin Tree at Hindu College in big numbers as part of a college ritual, allowing us to reach out to over 500 students in the duration of 2-3 hours in one place; a smart, fun and creative way to reach out to many students at once. Read more about this here- http://dubeat.com/2014/02/insight-valentines-day-rituals-hindu-colleges-virgin-tree/
The campaign aimed at promoting the idea of making Safecity your valentine if you care for your loved ones by caring about sexual violence . Since Valentine’s day popularly celebrates love, friendship and bonds. The campaign leveraged on this opportunity to make people aware of Safecity’s reporting platform, what constitutes sexual harassment and how they should voice their personal experiences of abuse in public spaces and be a part of Safecity’s movement for safe public spaces for all so that their near and dear ones are always safe.
How was it done?
- Buzzify team brainstormed on the campaign idea with Safecity team and finalized the theme.
- The core team of 5 members then designed posters for online and offline publicity of their event which was managed for a duration of 3 days before the event date. These posters were made visible on notice boards of 5 colleges around Hindu College as they were most likely to be present at the event. This publicity aimed at creating curiosity among students so that they look out for the Buzzify team at the event venue.
- Since Valentine’s day is also conventionally a day about gifts, Buzzify team prepared 50 little gift packs; which included the Safecity brochure, a bookmark encouraging them to volunteer for Safecity and a whistle to signify that it is importance to raise your voice. These gift packs were distributed to select students who engaged with the Buzzify team in sharing stories and showing solidarity to the movement for safe spaces.
Impact and Outreach-
- The campaign actors reached out to more than 1000 students through social media and on-ground publicity speaking to them about Safecity and the campaign. This was Buzzify’s first event for Safecity, the success of the campaign and response received encouraged Buzzify to take on this endeavor with even greater vigor, and they have continued to remain associated with us and have organized events and discussions to scale Safecity’s visibility on North Campus.
- The actors reached out to over 300 people at the day of the event, speaking to them in greater detail about sexual harassment, importance of reporting and Safecity’s mission for safe public spaces.
- The event was successful in getting Safecity connected to more volunteers in more than 3 colleges of North Campus right after the event, few of them who now work closely with Buzzify for various outreach activities of Safecity on campus.
- The campaign was carried out in a budget of 1000 rupees, the contribution to which came from two students who were invested in the objective of the campaign. This is a reflection of how on a very small budget a campaign can be carried out, thus motivating students that it does not require huge sums of money to create awareness and hence is doable in their capacity.